Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine “oil leak” - 285
I noticed that oil seems to be leaking between the cylinder head and the block.  Bottom cylinder, port side.  It is not a big leak and the oil seems to have been thru the combustion process as it is dark.  At first it looked more like an exhaust leak (black - discolored soot on the case at the split between the head and the block) but then there was enough (over several hours) to run down to the bottom of the cylinder and “pool”.

I checked the nut/bolt tightness of all the ones that were associated with this area /  issue, cleaned up the area, ran the engine and it reappeared.

Suggestions?  Is this a big concern?  Do I need to pull the cylinder and replace a gasket?  Is there a gasket here or just metal to metal?

Daryl
Hi Daryl. Which engine?
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(on a shirt my daughter gave me - author unknown)
Van's Aircraft RV-9 (dragon tail) Flying
Mosquito XEL, factory assist build, flying.
Daryl,

I have had the same thing happen, did the same things you did and yes it reappeared. I kept an eye on it but the general performance of the heli has not changed. I have never had anything "pool" on the base plate, just would notice the dark color at the seam of the case. I have over 100 hours on my machine and I don't have enough leakage to concern me. I hope this helped.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014
(12-25-2019, 04:53 PM)swashplate Wrote: Hi Daryl.  Which engine?
285 engine - in the title

(12-26-2019, 01:16 AM)FlyGuy Wrote: Daryl,

I have had the same thing happen, did the same things you did and yes it reappeared. I kept an eye on it but the general performance of the heli has not changed. I have never had anything "pool" on the base plate, just would notice the dark color at the seam of the case. I have over 100 hours on my machine and I don't have enough leakage to concern me. I hope this helped.

Michael
Thanks for the input.   I have not noticed any performance issues.  The amount of the leaking concerns me.  I will post some pics soon.
(12-26-2019, 02:53 AM)Dar_aar Wrote:
(12-25-2019, 04:53 PM)swashplate Wrote: Hi Daryl.  Which engine?
285 engine - in the title

(12-26-2019, 01:16 AM)FlyGuy Wrote: Daryl,

Michael
Thanks for the input.   I have not noticed any performance issues.  The amount of the leaking concerns me.  I will post some pics soon.
Dern, sorry, old eyes.  All the eyes saw was “oil leak”. LOL
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(on a shirt my daughter gave me - author unknown)
Van's Aircraft RV-9 (dragon tail) Flying
Mosquito XEL, factory assist build, flying.
There is a separate 'Inntec 800 operating and maintenance manual'. Have you downloaded that? It will show you whats there in the way of gaskets etc.

Gary
XE285 in NZ
Oil leaks on a 2 stroke should be fixed soon as possible as its an air leak and can cause a lean running cylinder. The case is sealed with gray moto-seal, heads an o ring and jugs base hmmm, sorry don't remember but most likely a gasket
I think I solved my oil leak problem.

The solution began by noticing some staining/leaking coming from one of the bottom spark plug holes.

I pulled all the plugs and found they were really “wet” and really black.

So the engine was running extremely rich.

I then started leaning the mix.  It is much better now.  Still a small amount of “leak” but no where near where it was.

I am continuing to lean until I get acceptable results.
Good deal Daryl!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014