Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Like the Navy pilots say it!
Hey all you Skeeter enthusiasts! After making the acquaintance of a couple of veteran Navy helo pilots who have turned to the Mosquito for their vertical flight needs I would like to introduce you all to a couple of terms coined by the Navy/Marines in honor of these new friends in our community namely Scott and Dick. We are lucky to have these guys join our ranks and to already be benefitting from the experience and knowledge they bring to the table. Guys like these will prove to bring credibility to our community that will serve to maintain our image as responsible builders and fliers. 

Now, for their cool terms that we can use! The generic helicopter terms "Hover in Ground Effect" and "Hover out of Ground Effect" are difficult to say even if you just say: "Hover OGE" and "Hover IGE". The Navy/Marine pilots contract both terms into the very easy to say acronyms "HIGE" (pronounced "Higgy") for "Hover in Ground Effect" and "HOGE" (pronounced "Hoagie" like the sandwich) for "Hover out of Ground Effect". Now, you can call me green behind the ears (I am retired Army after all) if you have already heard or know these but I've been flying for nearly 30 years and talked to many military and civilian pilots from around the world and had never heard these until I talked to U.S. Navy and Marine pilots.  

So, in honor of our new members and their service to our nation lets start using these acronyms and make it a "Mosquito" thing. HIGE and HOGE y'all!
Mark Thompson
Thanks, Mark. We also need to add Jimmy Hong (rotorlyfe) to the Navy list (new XET owner).
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
Mark,
    Thanks!  I thought that's what everyone called it.  Fort Rucker wasn't that far up the road from Whiting.  You must have at least heard the echo.  But I'm not sure how much credibility I will bring.  I think my former squadron mates would probably have a good laugh at that one.  But it is great to be looking forward to flying again.  

Dick,
    I came by Monday but you had already left.  Let me know when you'll be back in town again and I'll drive up.
Fly Navy,

Scott Langley
MCSE CEH CISSP

XET #1337 N334HY
Start: NOV 2018
Scott, heading back Sunday. Have my FAA inspection on Wednesday. Then, FLY!
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Dick, how long will you be in town? I was planning to wait until Monday to come back up, but I really want to see your bird fly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Fly Navy,

Scott Langley
MCSE CEH CISSP

XET #1337 N334HY
Start: NOV 2018
I’ll be here probably til Wednesday
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
(09-28-2018, 01:44 AM)Dick Campbell Wrote: I’ll be here probably til Wednesday