Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XE285 cooling fan problem
Quick question to the guys who have broken a fan, is there evidence of the fan rubbing fan shroud prior to fan blade breaking?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave Storey
XET/N72SX
http://storeyaviation.com/
(01-20-2020, 04:00 PM)Dick Campbell Wrote: My fan broke in flight, caused an overheat (discussed separately on this forum).  Also an XE 285 fan in Houston recently broke during hover.

I'm looking at an electric fan replacement.

There was another thread on the forum where an owner was looking at going to an electric fan, maybe a year ago or more.  I think they were way up north in a fairly cold climate.  Maybe see if you can find that thread and PM them to see how they got on with it, and if it worked in their summer months.

Gary
XE285 in NZ

(01-22-2020, 02:00 PM)storeyaviation Wrote: Quick question to the guys who have broken a fan, is there evidence of the fan rubbing fan shroud prior to fan blade breaking?

Thanks,
Dave

Yes mine did, but my original fan came uncut from the factory and I didnt cut it down as much as the next one that came from the factory (precut this time)

Gary
XE285 in NZ
Michael900,

bonjour Michael900,
si votre ventilateur c'est cassé en fonctionnement, vous devez vérifier les roulement du boitier.
détendre la courroie, resserrer le boitier et contrôler.
il ne doit pas y avoir de jeu et les roulements doivent tourner sans accros.
il faut appliquer le BS mosquito.
c'est un point critique qui nécessite une attention particulière

Hello, Michael900,
if your fan is broken during operation, you must check the bearings in the housing.
slacken the belt, tighten the housing and check.
there must be no play and the bearings must run smoothly.
you have to apply BS mosquito.
this is a critical point that needs special attention.

guillaume