Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Mosquito Videos
I finally got a GoPro type camera, so I have started loading my videos to my youtube channel "AeroEng Guy".  I also posted one of them to the Mosquito Facebook Group.  Here's a link to my most recent flight:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MGA_J1Ry--k

I plan to document some of my flight testing as I complete my Phase I.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
I tried making an anti vibration mount off the inside of the left door hinge (using 2 pieces of plastic and wire loops between them). Between that and the GoPro7 stabilization software you can get a fairly good picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbAUD2mmq8

Gary
(02-27-2020, 06:42 PM)grevis Wrote: I tried making an anti vibration mount off the inside of the left door hinge (using 2 pieces of plastic and wire loops between them).  Between that and the GoPro7 stabilization software you can get a fairly good picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVbAUD2mmq8

Gary
video molto stabile, potresti inviare le foto del supporto della gopro?
Maurizio from Italy
Here was my idea for mounting my camera.

The GoPro7 onwards has a big step up in stabilization software so may not actually need an anti vibration mount, but I havent tried without it.

Gary
XE285 in NZ
Really cool mount Gary! I agree the GoPro Hero 7 Black Hypersmooth stabilization feature is almost a must for in flight video recording. They say the Hero 8 is even a bit better. Great video and camera position in the cockpit. I can see the panel, controls, and you flying. Please post more videos!
(02-29-2020, 06:44 PM)grevis Wrote: Here was my idea for mounting my camera.

The GoPro7 onwards has a big step up in stabilization software so may not actually need an anti vibration mount, but I havent tried without it.

Gary
XE285 in NZ

from the photo it looks like you used a steel cable, is that correct?
Maurizio from Italy
Mauri, yes, I had some 2mm wire rope, quite flexible but with the number of loops in the picture it could handle the cameras weight even with it leaning forward (I have the camera pointing down to about the top of the dash)

Gary
XE285 in NZ
I know you mentioned the camera mount and the GoPro stabilization, but even so, this is by far the smoothest mosquito heli I've seen. Many have a lot of stick shake on the cyclic and the airframe is shaking all around.. what can you tell us about blade tracking and balancing on this aircraft?
MarkSaiber14 - 2/rev balance is still a work in progress for me. The cyclic etc is very good with no shake, but I feel 2/rev cabin hop a lot. I have the only XE285 to fly in NZ so dont have any others to compare to know if mine is good or bad. I would love it if the factory measured/released data from common balancers like dynavibe or PB4 so I could find out where I'm at compared to others.

I can say tracking is fairly basic, you can only adjust to within half a turn on a pitch link so it was just picking what was best with #1 blade high or low. I might try trim tabs later on. Havent really heard if other owners have found more success using them.

Something that did make a difference on my machine was blade lag. Initially I had the blades parallel with the hub plates like in the builders manual and 2/rev shake wasn't great, and exceptionally bad coming back through translation. It felt like the machine was never going to stop shaking, and only did when you got right back to a hover. I adjusted both blades to a slight lagging position and felt an improvement. To confirm I adjusted the blades forward/inline again and the bad shake came back. I believe the blades probably settle into a slight lagging position by themselves with time running, as the bearings etc in the blade grips settle in, but it would be nice to know if any other owners have measured/played with this on their machines or if the factory have some setup they have that generally gets machines flying smooth.

I have also noticed that rotor rpm has a big effect on 2/rev. My machine is a fairly heavy example of an XE285, and I'm definately way heavier than what I would like to be. Also, to get leg room I sit right back, so need a fair bit of extra weight in the nose to get CG right. I have found in level flight if I run about 10rpm low I get 0.9 IPS, at rated rpm about 0.75 IPS, and at about 10rpm high about 0.6 IPS.

Still trying to collect data around 2/rev and see if I can improve it, and have other adjustments I want to try, but will be sidetracked for a bit after a real in flight engine stoppage last weekend.

Gary
XE285 in NZ