Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
problem engine MZ202
good morning,
on my mosquito xe i installed a MZ202 engine. Lately I've noticed that after 10/15 minutes of level flight, the engine loses power and struggles to maintain level flight. I feel this problem only after 10/15 minutes of flight. EGT temperatures are 580/600.
What could be the cause?
Carburetors? pistons? or other?

thank's

maurizio
Maurizio
Maybe some more info about the motor history might help the other MZ202 owners point you in the right direction. How many hours on the motor, and how many on the current set of pistons. Has the problem appeared near or just after a recent service? What has the service history been on the carbs?

Also maybe check the exhaust system closely for cracks and connection at the engine. (leaking exhaust may affect power)
(09-28-2020, 06:27 PM)grevis Wrote: Maybe some more info about the motor history might help the other MZ202 owners point you in the right direction.  How many hours on the motor, and how many on the current set of pistons.  Has the problem appeared near or just after a recent service?  What has the service history been on the carbs?

Also maybe check the exhaust system closely for cracks and connection at the engine. (leaking exhaust may affect power)
the engine has a total of about 270 hours, at 170 hours I put new pistons on. the carburettors are the same original bing 54, I have not noticed any loss of exhaust gases and it is still the original exhaust. in flight there are no changes in EGT temperature, but keeping the collective in the same position and in level flight, after 10/15 minutes the engine goes into trouble and the only way is to lower the collective to make it resume revs.

I will try to do a complete cleaning of the carburetors, just to remove the doubt, but I don't think the problem comes from there
Maurizio
Mauri,
Check your fuel pump and change fuel filters.
The fuel flow may be diminished and insufficent under load.
Mike
(09-30-2020, 02:08 AM)marcher07 Wrote: Mauri,
Check your fuel pump and change fuel filters.
The fuel flow may be diminished and insufficent under load.
Mike
Grazie Mike, in effetti non ho mai controllato la pompa carburante, potrebbe essere la causa
Maurizio
Hi Mauri
Might check your cases for leakage, at the split. Talked to a friend, and he mentioned to do this. We both flew 202 XELs years ago. Take a butane torch (do not light)  turn on the butane and start the engine at idle if those BINGS will let you,  or higher with help. If you don't feel comfortable using butane around a running engine, try starter fluid (either) with a straw on the can so you can direct it better. Main thing to hold the rpm steady, best to have some one watch the tiny tach. Would think rpm should increase if case is leaking. Worth a try for 15 minutes of your time.    

Hope this helps, leo...
(10-02-2020, 01:19 AM)U-L- Copter Wrote: Hi Mauri
Might check your cases for leakage, at the split. Talked to a friend, and he mentioned to do this. We both flew 202 XELs years ago. Take a butane torch (do not light)  turn on the butane and start the engine at idle if those BINGS will let you,  or higher with help. If you don't feel comfortable using butane around a running engine, try starter fluid (either) with a straw on the can so you can direct it better. Main thing to hold the rpm steady, best to have some one watch the tiny tach. Would think rpm should increase if case is leaking. Worth a try for 15 minutes of your time.    

Hope this helps, leo...
but if there was a leakage from the crankcase, shouldn't I see the affected area spilled with oil?
Maurizio
(10-03-2020, 07:53 PM)mauri Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 01:19 AM)U-L- Copter Wrote: Hi Mauri

Hope this helps, leo...
but if there was a leakage from the crankcase, shouldn't I see the affected area spilled with oil?
No Mauri, If there is a leak at the split it will be sucking IN air. Thus the butane or either ( starting fluid) RPM should pick up when the engine draws in the material. The only way you would see bubbles or some form of visual would be if you plugged the exhaust & intake and pressurized the engine. 2 strokes crank cases need to have proper sealing (crank case seals ) split line etc. other wise can cause a lean condition. If yo have not done this yet I suggest a compression test. I put 97 hours on a set of pistons in my XEL # 1082 and the guys at Trenton thought that was un heard of. you have a 100 hours on your pistons, the rings could be worn out.  As you know the piston moves up & down 12000 times a minute. Again with the hours on you engine If cases are ok your crank shaft seals could be leaking. Other than the crank shaft seals, theses are easy checks to do.  Good luck  leo....
Mauri, per what Leo said, here is a video of my engine with a case leak found. It caused it to run hot due to the added air causing it to run lean. 

https://youtu.be/e6yPE0bMH8c
Jim
(10-04-2020, 03:44 PM)jimwitkowski Wrote: Mauri, per what Leo said, here is a video of my engine with a case leak found. It caused it to run hot due to the added air causing it to run lean. 

https://youtu.be/e6yPE0bMH8c
what product are you using to check for the leak? also it seems that you used a compressed air system to turn the engine, do you have any photos?
Maurizio