Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General question
Hi! New to the forum. Do anybody know of any flight training for the XE mosquito near Louisiana??
Gyroman,

Just get "helicopter training. A helicopter is a helicopter! It is almost like driving a Ford or a Doddge. Find your local Helicopter CFI and go from there.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014
(12-13-2020, 04:32 PM)Gyroman Wrote: Hi! New to the forum. Do anybody know of any flight training for the XE mosquito near Louisiana??
Gyroman

It will probably be a long shot but try to find flight training that uses Sweitzer 300 helicopters. Couple of reasons, the Sweitzer does not have a governor, the Robby does, and some trainers will not turn off the governor thus you do not learn throttle control. The cyclic is nothing like  cyclic your will experience in the mosquito your first solo flight.  The word has been the Sweitzer 300 is the closest helicopter to the mosquito. 

Good luck, leo...
(12-13-2020, 04:32 PM)Gyroman Wrote: Hi! New to the forum. Do anybody know of any flight training for the XE mosquito near Louisiana??
Thanks guys! I’ve been fly Gyroplanes for years, this seems to be a lot more difficult to get into. I
I trained in the R-22 and I can tell you that it flies a lot like the Mosquito. Also, it is a teetering rotor head, like the Mosquito, whereas the Sweitzer is an articulated rotor head. There are differences in flying (negative-g vs. ground resonance) techniques to learn.

Yes, the R-22 has a governor, but it is required to learn how to fly the R-22 without the governor because that is an emergency procedure. And I can say that flying the Mosquito without a governor is just a learning process which you can pick up very quickly, if you are already helo trained. Just my 2c.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
Hi Dick!
Thanks for the reply! All this is very overwhelming for sure! I’m sure it will be hard to find someone that offers just ten hours of training.
Well, you don't need to tell them, you can quit anytime. You just want to get the solo endorsement in your logbook. Altho, I should note that SFAR 73 requires 20 hrs in the R-22 before you're allowed to solo, in case you decide to go that route.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin