Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tiernay
I noticed there was a posting on the Tiernay Turbines and I am currently offering 23 Tiernay TT10 for sale, and do not know much about them. Just received contracts for selling and would like to know a little bit of information on them if possible. I know the basics on these machines, but would like to know what all applications they could be used for and any other useful information for me to go to buyers would be greatly appreciated as well. If anyone is interested, I am taking bids on tthese unused items as well, they are located in the Tulsa, OK area. Thanks for all the help!
Do tell, what is the condition and price for your TT10's? Do you have just the engines themselves, or are some of the MEP-362 accoutrements (speed reducer gear box, starter motor, controller, fuel pump) included?

For those not familiar with the Tiernay TT10 turboshaft engine, it was the compact powerplant for the MEP-362A portable DC generator, used to jumpstart aircraft of various kinds. A turbine engine was used for its reliability, power-to-weight, and most importantly, its ability to run on the same fuel running the planes it supported. The bare engine is about 100lbs, but most often you'll see the weight quoted with the 4:1 speed reducer gearbox, oil pump & starter assembly for a total of 150lbs. It spins around 48k RPM, wound down to 12k RPM out of the gearbox.

In a MEP-362A, a whopping 975lbs total dry weight(!), the TT10 drives a 10KW generator, capable of 28V at 357A continuous output! The output voltage is user-ajustable down to 12V at 800A, but only for momentary operation.

The output power of the TT10 is up for discussion, though most commonly one hears 150 shaft horsepower quoted. Seth at Wheelieworks know someone who claims to have actually dyno'd a TT10 at that power rating. The manufacturer of the MEP-362A, Walker Power, at one time quoted 75HP on their website. I contacted them directly to ask if that was accurate, and they replied that "the TT10 is only about 30-35HP" and they actually edited their web page to remove the horsepower rating altogether! (http://walkerpower.com/43801.html)

Presumably, something between 75 and 150 horsepower is accurate rating, while the meager 35HP is a highly derated measurement guaranteed over a long lifespan and under a broad range of operating conditions.
10 horsepower for every 100 pounds of takeoff weight is GOOD for a helicopter. 12-15 would be GRRRRRREAT!