Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
windshield
Hey folks...my air-frame arrives this Tuesday. Painted and crated, Dwight shipped it out last Tuesday. FYI...it arrives (Utah) one year to the day that my deposit was received by RotorFX.

Question builders...what spacing are you using between rivets on the windshield?

I will be posting pic's soon. Thanks!
I used half inch from outer edge of windshield, 2 inches between each rivet hole. Work out to about 80 rivets.
Thanks very much Rob...Ricci
riccimartin - 10/31/2011 8:46 AM

Hey folks...my air-frame arrives this Tuesday. Painted and crated, Dwight shipped it out last Tuesday. FYI...it arrives (Utah) one year to the day that my deposit was received by RotorFX.

Question builders...what spacing are you using between rivets on the windshield?

I will be posting pic's soon. Thanks!

I used 2" spacing. Also, I used screws, not rivets, which are inclined to crack the perspex. 3mm by 8mm thread. STAINLESS!
Rob1
Hey Rob1...I also intend to use screws...thank you. Ricci
Yeah I used rivets because thats why the factory was using at the time, I kinda like the idea of screws and have seen them used since my build.

I drilled mine 2" (1/2" in from edge) as stated in the manual, but not sure on my secure method yet. I believe the Rivets were much more prone to crack the first (clear, thinner 1/8" ) windsheild, but not so much a problem with the newer tinted 3/16" upgrade from composite FX. I could never find the recomended plexiglass drill bit, so did what others suggested and used a blunt 1/8" std bit (rubbed it into the concrete before i started).

But i even tested my drilling on a 1/2" offcut from the screen and it never even cracked when really close to the edges. Some early screens/heli's may have only cracked after the pressure came on the rivet. I'm not sure how long it has been recommended to drill all the glass holes out to 9/16" afterward, but that would certainly help that situation.

Richard, NZL  /// C? Test Dummy \\\  "I used to be a hang-glider pilot. Yeah, I remember that... day!"
Ewwww, I bet you meant 9/64" instead of 9/16", huh?

It's hard to get the rivet head to grip in a 9/16" hole. Smile
haha, oopsydaisy! Give me metrics any day Smile
Richard, NZL  /// C? Test Dummy \\\  "I used to be a hang-glider pilot. Yeah, I remember that... day!"