Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radio Interference
Thanks for the info sharing & feedback. I will try the settings this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tested your suggested settings for the V6 radio. Through trial and error I ended up with "mic level 3db, Mic filter on, vox 9, Squelch 13.I now am able to hear transmissions and transmit. However, feedback from pilots hearing my transmissions are- "some static and very low volume." I still get some "popping" noise through the head set while flying. My avionics guy suggested installing a separate push to talk switch to further reduce mic noise. This helped a great deal. [Image: 4911f12b14eea8fd8d9de547eaee6e94.jpg]

Thanks for your help.

I am sorry, I assumed that you had a PTT switch. I am about to order the shielding for the plug wires, you might want to try that to clear up some of the static. That high squelch level might be playing a role in the quiet transmissions. I am glad you are making progress and that we are working toward a common goal. 

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014
(08-25-2015, 04:14 AM)ddiana Wrote: Has anyone had success eliminating the RF Interference problem?  I have a factory built XEL with an antenna in the tail boom. I'm using an Icom A6 and a seinheisser headset.  I get significant feedback when I power on.  so much so that I cannot use the radio.  

Any Help would be appreciated.  

Dave

I have a Sirio antenna on the backside of the ship, and a dc-dc converter between the 12volt of the Batterie and the Radio. There are no interferences.
I think the most important thing is the DC-DC converter.It really works very well.
doc.hollyday
I just started flying my XE 285 a couple of months ago and have about 6 hours flying time on it so far.  I installed the relatively new MGL V16 radio with the Vega head unit and a Sirio antenna.  Like many have said before me in this forum regarding other radios, the V16 works great as long as the engine isn't running.  However, when the engine is operating at 100%, the radio becomes unusable.  I found an application note on the MGL web site called "EMI suppressor for VHF frequencies."  For certain types of interference, the article advocates using ferrite beads designed specifically for aircraft frequencies on the power and ground for the radio.  It stresses that ferrite beads designed for other frequencies won't work.  I bought some beads from MGL and installed them as MGL suggests, and it worked for me.  The radio is now usable in the air when the helicopter is under powered flight.  Before installing the beads, the radio only worked before engine start and during autorotations  Wink  
I think I will still add some grounded shielding to some noise sources like the plug wires, but I now have a working radio without doing any of that.  
Hope this helps someone having a similar issue.  
Dan 
Austin, TX
Thanks Dan. Had the same problem a few years ago did some shielding and separating some wires and got my radio working. I may also have to add some ferrite beads for good measure. 

Fly Safe,

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014