Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hybrid Electric Engines Technology
Im actually all for 'reinvention of the wheel' when it comes to a hybrid setup, and have been watching for the products appearing on the market that could suit.

A hybrid setup that could allow 2-3 minutes of fully powered flight in situations where a combustion engine fails would represent the biggest leap forward in helicopter safety in decades. And how great would that be if it first appeared on a mosquito helicopter.

And I thought the KISS meant 'Keep It Stupidly Simple'. The other way round could be considered a directed insult, and we want people to share and promote ideas here, not push them away.

Gary
XE285 in NZ
I would actually go fully electric already. Plenty of benefits in distributing the drivetrain. Also possible to scrap extra components. Tail rotor can have only the power wires going to the motor with fixed blade angles. Tunnel can be minimized to reduce the draft (more lift with main rotor). Or why have only one tail rotor? Can have 2 at the sides to add flight speed? Electrical motor can quickly adjust the rpm to create the counter torque for the main rotor. We see many of these multi rotor drone systems already everywhere. It's not about reinventing the wheel but the vehicle on the "wheels".
(06-17-2019, 07:54 PM)grevis Wrote: Im actually all for 'reinvention of the wheel' when it comes to a hybrid setup, and have been watching for the products appearing on the market that could suit.

A hybrid setup that could allow 2-3 minutes of fully powered flight in situations where a combustion engine fails would represent the biggest leap forward in helicopter safety in decades.  And how great would that be if it first appeared on a mosquito helicopter.

And I thought the KISS meant 'Keep It Stupidly Simple'.  The other way round could be considered a directed insult, and we want people to share and promote ideas here, not push them away.

Gary
XE285 in NZ

Agree 100%
Darrell
I think a hybrid system is a great safety addition. Even 30 seconds of backup power after an engine failure could save the machine and possibly ones life.
If you have something constructive to add, we are all ears.
Well done Frederic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I guess I don't see the advantage of a few more minutes of powered flight after an engine failure. You are going down regardless. If you are proficient in auto-rotations (as we all should be), you are still going to land safely. Possible exception for a congested area where a suitable landing spot might be difficult to find.

Like akkuJukka, I think we can learn a lot from the rapidly expanding drone technology.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
I think something that gives you real powered flight for a couple of minutes would change your situation dramatically and would be a MASSIVE advantage. I'm only just starting out, but have spoken to multiple pilots who have done real life autos, and almost all of those autos have gone wrong and destroyed machines at the point of landing. I don't think any were bad pilots, and every one could land practice autos all day long, but each story that went bad had one thing in common, when engine failure struck they were very limited with safe landing spots. And I wouldn't say its a case of them flying in places they shouldn't, just flying in real world situations.

Its good for us Moqsuito pilots to only fly over nice green paddocks, but we are missing a lot of the fun then as helicopters are so great to get into those hills and mountains and harder to reach places.

If you had the choice of doing a powered landing vs an auto landing in a tight/uneven/confined/unknown landing spot why would you not choose powered? The ability to extend the distance flown during descent by just another minute would increase options hugely. Even time to asses and get into the wind in a chosen spot changes your landing so much.

I'm not a person that thinks as soon something is called 'safer' we must have it, because most of those cases its BS or an overkill. But I stand by my earlier comment that this idea of hybrid power assisting us would be the biggest real movement towards safer helicopters in decades.

Gary
XE285 in NZ
(06-22-2019, 09:50 PM)grevis Wrote: I think something that gives you real powered flight for a couple of minutes would change your situation dramatically and would be a MASSIVE advantage.  I'm only just starting out, but have spoken to multiple pilots who have done real life autos, and almost all of those autos have gone wrong and destroyed machines at the point of landing.  I don't think any were bad pilots, and every one could land practice autos all day long, but each story that went bad had one thing in common, when engine failure struck they were very limited with safe landing spots.  And I wouldn't say its a case of them flying in places they shouldn't, just flying in real world situations.

Its good for us Moqsuito pilots to only fly over nice green paddocks, but we are missing a lot of the fun then as helicopters are so great to get into those hills and mountains and harder to reach places.

If you had the choice of doing a powered landing vs an auto landing in a tight/uneven/confined/unknown landing spot why would you not choose powered?  The ability to extend the distance flown during descent by just another minute would increase options hugely.  Even time to asses and get into the wind in a chosen spot changes your landing so much.

I'm not a person that thinks as soon something is called 'safer' we must have it, because most of those cases its BS or an overkill.  But I stand by my earlier comment that this idea of hybrid power assisting us would be the biggest real movement towards safer helicopters in decades.

Gary
XE285 in NZ
Engine failure situation with an extra 1 minute choice, very well explained !