Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAA redacted 64 mph level flight max speed for ultralight airvehicle helicopters?
I ran into a reference online that the mosquito XEL helicopter was a FAR part 103 legal helicopter.   My search led me to Composite-Fx forum for answers.

What puzzled me, was FAR 103 specifications for the ultralight air vehicle category has maximum speed in level flight of 64 miles per hour, yet in specifications for the mosquito XEL helicopter, it says maximum speed 70 miles per hour.

This is a variation of only six miles per hour, but still exceeds maximum set by FAR 103.

This begs the question: did the FAA wave 64 mph maximum speed requirement for ultralight helicopters?
My recommendation would be to call the nearest FAA FSDO. That way you are getting the information from "the horses mouth". That is what I did trying to work past the noise dealing with ADS-B and this heli. I got my answer now I lust need more $$$s!

Merry Christmas Rotor-Heads

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014
Its not waived -- the issue is you cant fix, lock, block, or limit the flight controls to include throttle to limit the helicopter in its full range of operation to allow for the event of an autorotation, in short the PIC is responsible -- early on John addressed the issue with the FAA and got an approval letter. In 103 there is mention of a stall speed, again not applicable for a helicopter. From memory there is a FAA document for determining helicopter performance on certified where they discuss the height velocity curves for determination.
I JUST went through the same Q&A.

The XEL has gotta have floats installed, the MZ 202 engine, cross drain tubing in the fuselage for the 5 gallon capacity limitation and the weight is correct.  This means you can't have the thicker windscreen and no vertical stabilizer or lights.  The Mosquito Air and XEL are the first (and, I think only) "ultralight" helicopters is the US.  And, also, as I understand, John did all the "upfront" leg work with the FAA to ensure that the specs of the XEL and Air would would allow them to be ultralights provided the items mentioned above were met.

I may be wrong about all of that......  but I'm going to weigh mine.  If it comes in heavy, (because I do have the thicker windscreen), I will look to a new, lighter battery.  There are a few other things that can get trimmed BUT NOT MUCH!  After that, if it still weighs too much, she gets registered.

Robert
"Pilots - Looking down on people since 1903"
(on a shirt my daughter gave me - author unknown)
Van's Aircraft RV-9 (dragon tail) Flying
Mosquito XEL, factory assist build, flying.
(12-26-2019, 10:15 PM)marcher07 Wrote: Its not waived -- the issue is you cant fix, lock, block, or limit the flight controls to include throttle to limit the helicopter in its full range of operation to allow for the event of an autorotation, in short the PIC is responsible -- early on John addressed the issue with the FAA and got an approval letter.  In 103 there is mention of a stall speed, again not applicable for a helicopter. From memory there is a FAA document for determining helicopter performance on certified where they discuss the height velocity curves for determination.

This is correct, the PIC is responsible. The rule states: 103.1, (E.) If Powered. (3) Is not capable of more than 55 knots (63.3mph) calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight.
With that said, just like the fuel must be either marked or noted: MAX Fuel 5 gallons, it is the responsibility of the PIC not to exceed the 5 gal mark. Same is for airspeed, it must be noted to be legal: MAX Airspeed in level flight 65mph or VNE 65mph. With that, it is the responsibility of the PIC to adhere to aircraft set limitations.

Dave
Dave Storey
XET/N72SX
http://storeyaviation.com/
Soooo, has anyone installed the thicker windshield and remained below 314lbs? The thicker windshield is a must! It is not fun to be flying and have that windshield crack. When I heard that "pop" I thought the machine was breaking something big and important on me.
Is that something that has been occurring to many Mosquito's or was it temperature related (Too cold/hot)?
Ray