Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XE285 cooling fan problem
Photo 
Hi guys, here is the problem I encountered with the XE285.
the cooling fan is broken several times recently, I guess the reason is the vibration of the engine is too big.
do you have any good solution?

[Image: 49405813323_4b945d5559_m.jpg]
Michael,

I had the same issue. I had one break, replaced it and the second one broke on sunup within 10 seconds. I thought that was odd so I took off the fan assembly and had it put on a lathe to check trueness. The top of the pulley was out .001 but at the bottom where the fan is attached to was out .005. I ordered another pulley w/bearing, put another fan on and have not had a problem since. 

Check the trueness of the pulley, it can't hurt. Hope this will help.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014
I broke one too, but my original came from the factory uncut and I didnt take enough off it. It made contact with the radiator shroud. Are you using fans precut from the factory, and are you seeing any marks on the shroud?

If so you could look at cutting it down further and monitor your radiator outlet temp, if it keeps up with the cooling requirements that would be ok.

Yes, 2 cylinder engines vibrate, but that wont cause the fan to make contact, it will be how much the engine swings around on and off power. Any really rough running areas in the engines tuning may need more smoothing out. Mike Messex is probably a really good guy to help with more advice on that. After that you may need to consult with the factory and confirm the rubber isolators that mount the engine were the correct hardness (or replace them to be sure).

Gary
XE285 in NZ
My fan broke in flight, caused an overheat (discussed separately on this forum). Also an XE 285 fan in Houston recently broke during hover.

I'm looking at an electric fan replacement.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
(01-20-2020, 04:00 PM)Dick Campbell Wrote: My fan broke in flight, caused an overheat (discussed separately on this forum).  Also an XE 285 fan in Houston recently broke during hover.

I'm looking at an electric fan replacement.
If I can make a suggestion.....Be sure your alternator has enough amperes to operate the engine, gauges, lights, dc fan motor and any other electrical devices you have drawing off the engine alternator. If it doesn't you could always put in a separate battery just to power the fan motor.
Jim
Anybody know if there is a specification for ampere capability of the engine alternator? It's would be easy enough to determine the aircraft loads. I would think the fuel pumps would be the biggest draw. The MGL instruments only draw about 45mA, the radio only 250mA in RX.

The Inntec Engine Manual does not have any info on the alternator.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
(01-21-2020, 07:16 PM)Dick Campbell Wrote: Anybody know if there is a specification for ampere capability of the engine alternator?  It's would be easy enough to determine the aircraft loads.  I would think the fuel pumps would be the biggest draw.  The MGL instruments only draw about 45mA, the radio only 250mA in RX.

The Inntec Engine Manual does not have any info on the alternator.
If it is the same as this   http://www.arcticinsider.com/Article/Eve...000-Engine

Then it has 325 watts, which would convert to 27 amps.
Jim
On one of the XE's that I had with the MZ202 engine I installed a magnetic collective friction. That engine put out 180 watts/15amps. When I turned on the collective friction magnet it shut down the engine instantly. Lucky thing was I was only at about 8 feet off the ground in a hover, no damage done. I installed a separate battery after that just for the friction controller.
Jim
(01-22-2020, 12:47 AM)jimwitkowski Wrote: On one of the XE's that I had with the MZ202 engine I installed a magnetic collective friction. That engine put out 180 watts/15amps. When I turned on the collective friction magnet it shut down the engine instantly. Lucky thing was I was only at about 8 feet off the ground in a hover, no damage done. I installed a separate battery after that just for the friction controller.

So not too much ground testing done on that mod before the flight?
Sure, it worked great on the ground. Maybe I should of started the engine also while testing it on the ground, Lol. Just one of those times that I should of thought of that earlier. This is the reason I bring it up....
Jim