Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EAA article about the UAV XE
The November 2020 issue of EAA's Sport Aviation magazine has another article by Beth Stanton about the XE-285.  This time she interviews Dwight and Norbert about the autonomous UAV that's been in development for the last five years.  Well written and cool pix.

I'd include a link to the article, but the magazine is an EAA member benefit, so the best I can do is encourage you to join EAA.  If you are building or flying an Experimental aircraft, or contemplating it, you really should.

Perhaps someone at Composite-FX can get permission to make it available on this forum.
-Chip Davis-
N8421L 2016 XE-285 #1076
Chip,

I never joined simply because they never seemed to included support for the Experimental community. I guess I will have to re-consider since it looks like they have had a change of heart.

On another note, I have run into a group of pilots here in my neck of the woods that know you from volunteering with you at Oshkosh. Great bunch of folks!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014
(11-03-2020, 05:25 PM)FlyGuy Wrote: I never joined simply because they never seemed to included support for the Experimental community. I guess I will have to re-consider since it looks like they have had a change of heart.

On another note, I have run into a group of pilots here in my neck of the woods that know you from volunteering with you at Oshkosh. Great bunch of folks!
Indeed they are!  They are my real family with whom I've spent two weeks every summer for the last twenty-five years. (Newlyweds now have kids in the Air Force.)  You can't imagine how much it hurt me to not go this year, and how much I miss them.

The visibility of experimental helicopters in EAA has waxed and waned over the years.  The awareness during the BJ Schramm years was good, the Fetters years, not so much.  As with all such membership organizations, EAA resources and programs are driven by interest from below.  Experimental fixed-wing aircraft started it and continues to be the core of EAA.  The aircraft of the first 70 years of aviation are a large component, but over time aerobatic aircraft, warbirds, ultralight, and even balloons and rotorcraft joined the focus on homebuilt airplanes.  Someone brought a homebuilt Bensen Gyrocopter to Rockford back in the early sixties, and experimental rotorcraft have been a (small) presence in EAA ever since.

Page space in EAA's Sport Aviation magazine is more valuable real estate than a tie-down in the shade at Airventure.  The fact that they have devoted so much publication real estate not just to experimental helicopters, but to Composite-FX products, is remarkable.  Whether it represents a new awareness of this niche market, increased interest by EAA members, or just a happy chance encounter between Dwight and a writer looking for something novel to write about, I don't know or care.

While the many homebuilder resources that EAA offers may be uniformly airplane-centric, the tools, techniques, and tips are directly applicable to building an XE.  Their video on swaging flying wires is much better than the written description in the Builder's Guide.  There are many tips on things like torque-seal, wiring labelling, and many other fabrication best-practices that the average XE-builder may not know.

But the best reason to join the EAA is that you probably have a Chapter not too far away.  Yes, you'll probably be the only fling-wing guy in it, but the collected wisdom (and tools) of the homebuilders in that group can't be bought.  Most of them will be interested in helping you out, if just for the novelty of what you're building.  And yes, in a Chapter of any size there will be a guy of a certain age with stories about his time spent in a Huey in 'Nam.

So the real value of being an EAA member is the support you get from your local chapter.  AND all the stuff they have online.
-Chip Davis-
N8421L 2016 XE-285 #1076
Great article. I'm in a very active EAA chapter. There are only two of us rotorheads (the other a Rotorway), but a lot of great pilots for getting together for sea stories. We also have an active summer camp where I demo my Mosquito, VMC/IMC club for keeping current, and we just bought a Redbird TD2 for instrument training. I fly my Mosquito to monthly pancake breakfasts and get a lot of interest.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin