Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosquito accident in Odessa Florida
Liability exposure I think, Michael. It's like talking to the cops.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
I guess so. I am watching this sport, this forum being destroyed by people that will not take responsibility for their own actions and want an relatively inexpensive ultra-lite and experimental aircraft meet the same standards as a $300,000+ certified production rotorcraft. It makes me want to join in and quit sharing any information. What a shame!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014
(09-28-2017, 03:22 PM)mosquito Wrote: We are investigating and will let you know when we find out more.

It has been over 2 years, do we know the cause of the engine failure yet?

Travis
Man, I am surprised. Nobody knows what happened. Is it a secret? Is it posted somewhere else and I just missed it?

Travis
Help is on the way.
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014
The FAA, may not release a report, its there decision. Composite-FX, assisted in the investigation, a summary: from data downloaded from the flight instrument and ECU. The engine during flight developed a coolant over temperature condition, the high temperature alarms triggered, following the alarm, flight at altitude continued for a period of time until the engine siezed forcing an auto rotation. Indications were it was maintenance related and missed during preflight
Thanks for the reply, any information is better than none. What kind of maintenance issue could be missed during preflight to cause the overheating? Lack of coolant, fan belt or blade, cracked line? Not sure what else it could be.

Travis
Or it could have been a fan failure in flight, similar to my incident, however my engine did not seize, and I was able to make a partial power auto recovery. I am also aware of one other fan failure that occurred to a 285 during hover, but no overheat.

The aircraft flew for 45 min without incident, so I think that might preclude a manitenance issue, altho I do not have access to CFX's investigation.
XE285 #1329 N869DJ
Start: June 2018
Done:  Sep 12, 2018  Sleepy 
AWC Issued: Sep 26, 2018  Big Grin  
So, there are atleast 2 other fan issues and this one with cooling issues (probable fan) that seized the engine. Any SB's issued? Hard to believe this is a maintenance issue when it was just 5 months old and only acquired 18 hours. Are the FAA/NTSB preventing Composit/FX from communicating the probable cause? As a potential customer this lack of transparency does not instill confidence.

Travis
I've also broken the plastic fan. It caused a noticable increase in vibration and I shut it down immediately. I was right in front of my hanger door thankfully! Have since replaced it with a metal fan that I trimmed and blanced myself.