Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Filter
Hey guys, (and girls too, if we have any flying Mosquito's) a heads up on the little glass fuel filters some of us are using. I was out flying yesterday and put some bad fuel in my XE3. The filter was clear on pre flight, so off I went. Got to the end of the runway and was climbing out when I got a master caution light. A quick look indicated #2 & 3 were spiking the EGT's, then the engine started to loose power. A quick trip down to the extended threshold and I was out looking for a clue. Lines full of air, and a little debris in the filter. Towed the copter to my hanger, pulled the fuel filter and found just a little debris had completely stopped up the micro mesh screen within the filter, couldn't get any fuel through it at all! Replaced the filter with a cheap automotive type and no further problems. So, if you have one of those little glass filters, lOOSE THE DAMN THING!
Skeeter
Skeeter,
I think your frustrations and passion have over ridden common sense because your post doesn't make sense, you're saying the filter did its job by keeping crude out of the carbs, and that when you replaced it you didn't have a problem (which is what I'd expect) - It would not have mattered what filter you were using if it got clogged up from bad gas its still clogged doesn't matter the brand. When you looked at the filter it was clear - had you been running the engine before you inspected it - probably not - so you didn't start the flow of gas and the potential to clog till it was running. Do you have both feeds from the fuel cell going into one filter or have two filters, one each side and did you change the filter out since installation
wouldnt it be simpler to use a screen as you fill each tank? thats what I do on my equipment.. that way im screening out any material before it goes in my tank.. seems to me the filter did its job..

Yep, filter did it's job. My issue was with the small amount of material it took to clog the filter. I replaced it with a larger automotive type, but will be looking at a gascolater in the future. The up side was I had it flying again the same day. Smile
I have a 30 gal Gas Caddy and will be looking for some kind of in line filter for that as well.

It's Tuesday, my day off, and I'm going flying!
Skeeter
Skeeter - 2/21/2011 6:18 AM

Yep, filter did it's job. My issue was with the small amount of material it took to clog the filter. I replaced it with a larger automotive type, but will be looking at a gascolater in the future. The up side was I had it flying again the same day. Smile
I have a 30 gal Gas Caddy and will be looking for some kind of in line filter for that as well.

It's Tuesday, my day off, and I'm going flying!
Skeeter

Smile good it happened while you were in a safe area.. have fun today.. take some pics/video if you can..
Just to be on the safe side, I would drain the carb bowls also. Evertime I had water contamination (Im talking motorcycles and lawnmowers), there was always tiny droplets of water in the carb fuel bowl and most of the eqipment had the tiny fuel filters on them.........
this is good to know..i am building a mosquito air and after what every one had said im going to filter all my gas before i put it in my mosquito tank..
banker_776 - 2/21/2011 10:52 AM

this is good to know..i am building a mosquito air and after what every one had said im going to filter all my gas before i put it in my mosquito tank..

i think thats a good idea.. like i said i use a fine screen funnel on all my equipment at home.. i definitely would do it on a mosquito.. just good insurance.. i dunno how the tanks are but probably make especially they are clean and debris free
Save some money over retail - I bought a gascolator from eBay for $38 - new.
JBaum - 2/21/2011 11:40 AM

Save some money over retail - I bought a gascolator from eBay for $38 - new.

nice