Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balance with tail fins
How much is dimension "X" affected by adding the horizonal and vertical stabilizers?
We often counterbalance the tail fins by either moving the battery to the front of the cabin or adding ballast. The average pilot would need to move forward about 2" to counter the tail fins.
My question is how much more ballast was needed when the horizontal stabs. were added (i.e. how much ballast was used before horizontal stabs. were added and how much more was needed after they were added.) I know Leo, Lorne, and Mike Messex are flying with the same horizontal stabs that I am using. Through me a bone guys.

Thanks in advance.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Start: 8/1/2013
Finish: 5/24/2014
Arrived home: 10/11/2014
I'm looking at doing this with my batteries. Got any photos?

mosquito - 3/24/2008 10:26 AM

We often counterbalance the tail fins by either moving the battery to the front of the cabin or adding ballast. The average pilot would need to move forward about 2" to counter the tail fins.
What are the main advatages of the H-Stab aside from improved pitch stabilty?

mosquito - 3/24/2008 10:26 AM

I am looking for general information. While hovering for the first time, we used 20 lbs. of ballast on the dash and it handled great. Now I am just asking how much more ballast was added by the guys that have the horizontal stabs. Enquiring minds want to know!

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)
Mike,
I saw while you were building that you bought them and they look cool, but you don't need them! I have the black and green 285 that was at the fly in this year. The previous owner had bought them for mine, the boom didn't even have the holes drilled for them. I thought it would be great to put them on so I installed them. (Mine requires about the same ballast as you mentioned to fly right) seems like putting the stabs on almost canceled out all that weight out. Not worth it in my opinion. You can measure the distance from the CG to the stab location and from the CG to the windshield or skid tips. Then weigh the stabs and multiply that times the amount that the front distance will go into the rear distance and that should be the amount of extra weight that it would take in front to equal out.
Joncy
I have a box up front holds the old style battery 5lbs and 6 lbs of lead shot - the link shows the initial idea, I refined it later on making a box out of 1/8 wood the sides match the curvature of the fuselage and extend about an inch above the bottom of the battery with a little wiggle room to get the battery in and out. As the battery is “square” there is a space in front of and under it. I put a removable false bottom and filled the void in front of the batter and under it with lead shot. The batter is held in place by Velcro strips. The down side the battery is hard to get to, your cable run to the starter is long, and most recently I’m going to a Lithium battery which is one pound. I’ll keep the box as a ballast point and move the battery back to the stock location

http://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/...

FlyGuy - 9/26/2014 2:33 AM

My question is how much more ballast was needed when the horizontal stabs. were added (i.e. how much ballast was used before horizontal stabs. were added and how much more was needed after they were added.) I know Leo, Lorne, and Mike Messex are flying with the same horizontal stabs that I am using. Through me a bone guys.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Hi Michael

I had the horizontal stabs with wing lets installed at the factory when mine was built. Then my mosquito was hung to check C/G
No front ballast was then needed. The horizontal is needed when running floats and is positioned 3 to 5 degrees down to offset the drag of the floats to bring the nose up. I would suspect yours are positioned at 0 degrees and are basically along for the ride.
Hopes this helps, nice helo.
Later leo....
Thanks Mike, Leo, and everyone.

I am not planning to move the battery. Some of my interest was, If you flew your bird without the H stab and then added the H stab, did the down force from the rotor wash make you have to add additional forward ballast? I know how to do the calculations to offset the weight of the H stab., but was curious if the downforce of the rotor wash caused the need for additional ballast.

Michael
XE 285  1205 (Myrtle)